Tuesday, August 24, 2010

There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I think my bait has gone bad

I'm a huge fan of plentyoffish.com. I love free dating sites and this one really does a great job. I've met some amazing friends, reconnected with people from my past by accident and got the chance to have a date with the most beautiful man I've ever seen. However last nights date will go down in history for being the worst thirty minutes ever. This guy found me on the site and didn't have many pictures or much to say, but he seemed like he might potential. We exchanged numbers and he asked what I was doing for the rest of the day. I was dying of boredom and had had some boy drama earlier in the day an was down to make a new connection. I've definitely learned that texting is not the way to make a date because five seconds on the phone with this guy would have saved us a ton of time. He drove from northgate for a chill hangout date in my living room. Normally I don't allow strangers anywhere near my home, but for some reason I wasn't concerned and having my roommate Jonelle around gives me a sense of safety. I should have known something was wrong when he started hounding me about full body pictures when my profile has half face shots and half body shots. When he arrived I noticed his thick Caribbean accent and instantly knew that culture could play a role in our miscommunication. After sitting on my couch and looking around the first thing he said was, "Do you like purple?". My smart ass told him that I hated it and that's obviously why I painted my entire house purple. He then asked if I was a satanist. WTF? Apparently in his world people who like or wear purple are Gothic satanists. The rest of our thirty minute conversation continued this way. He got mad when I asked if he was feeling like we had chemistry because apparently chemistry is an online dating term and using it made me less real. There wasn't an ounce of chemistry not even when he told me all about the Mandingo in his pants.

When my roommate arrived the first words out his mouth were "Oh, you didn't tell me your roommate was black". This set me off. I asked if he wanted me to share her sexual orientation too and any other pertinent details with him. Mind you he was also black so really not sure where this comment came from. I told him he had been offensive from the start an cited his purple comments as a reason and without another misspoken word he bolted out the door. Minutes later I received a few misspelled texts saying that he was glad men in my past had treated me like shit because I was no good and that is what I deserve and that his only regret was not telling me I was a bitter man hater.

Jokes on him though. My purple, Mandingo man loving ass is one blog closer to a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment